Pistol and Revolver Licensing

The Permits and Licensing Unit performs background checks on all individuals applying for non-resident concealed pistol licenses, armed and unarmed private investigator licenses, armed and unarmed security guard licenses, and armed and unarmed bail enforcement licenses. In addition, certificates of competency are issued for the use of explosives after successful testing. The licensing for the use, transport and storage of explosives is completed by the Permits and Licensing Unit with the inspection of explosive storage magazines performed by troopers assigned to the State Police Explosives Disposal Unit. The Permits and Licensing Unit’s Gun Line is responsible for completing background checks for all handgun purchases occurring through a Federal Firearms Licensed gun dealer.

In-State Residents

Pistol and Revolver licenses are only issued to Non-Residents by the New Hampshire State Police. Please contact your local policing agency for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License. The Application for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License may be downloaded.

Out-of-State Residents

Please download the Application for Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License; fill in the necessary information according to the instructions and mail it to:

Department of Safety
Division of State Police
Permits and Licensing Unit
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver Rules and RSAs

  • RSA 159 (includes self-defense weapons and martial arts weapons)
  • New Hampshire Code of Administrative Rules Saf-C 2100


The states listed below have indicated that they will recognize New Hampshire resident pistol revolver licenses. Anyone carrying a firearm in New Hampshire is subject to all other applicable laws including RSA 159:3.

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona *
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado *
  • Florida *
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • Mississippi
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia *
  • Wyoming

* License holders must be 21 years of age or older.

Please Note: Pistol/Revolver licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are only valid within the State of New Hampshire or within a state that recognizes a New Hampshire non-resident pistol/revolver license.

It is extremely important that all license holders be aware of the laws and requirements of all reciprocating states when visiting/traveling. Possession of a license does not supersede any other state's laws or license requirements. License holders are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is 21 years of age or older.

The above is being provided for informational purposes only. The Department of Safety does not make any warranty, express or implied, concerning the accuracy of the information. Every attempt is made to update the information periodically; however, it is each individual's responsibility to know the laws and requirements concerning possession of pistols/revolvers when traveling in New Hampshire or any other state.