Troop G Field Enforcement FAQs

Frequently asked questions about commercial vehicle inspections, dealers, and salvage vehicles.

State Inspection Questions

Can I alter the suspension on my vehicle?

Yes, as long as the horizontal bumper does not fall below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 20 inches. See RSA 266:9 and Saf-C 3211.07(a)(3).

Am I required to have my trailer inspected?

Yes, annually, all trailers, semi-trailers and full trailers with a registered weight of 10,001 pounds or more shall be inspected unless otherwise noted in RSA 266:1-b. See Saf-C 3227.01(a).

Can I alter the exhaust system on my car or truck?

Yes, with limitations. See RSA 266:59 and Saf-C 3218.

Can I put tinted headlight covers on my vehicle?

No. See Saf-C 3215.04(5)(b).

Can I get my vehicle inspected early?

Yes. A vehicle can be inspected early if:

  • The owner has a valid New Hampshire registration for the vehicle being inspected; and
  • The month in which the anniversary of the owner’s birth occurs is one of the next four months.

See RSA 261:62, II(d) and RSA 266:1, II.

How often do antique vehicles need to be inspected?

  • Annually, in the month of April, for antique motor vehicles less than 40 model years old; and
  • Biennially, in the month of April, for antique motor vehicles 40 or more model years old.

See Saf-C 3224.01.

Are replicas of antique motor vehicles considered antique motor vehicles?

No. See Saf-C 3225.01.

Can I attach a whole- window sticker or one- way graphic (transparent in one direction and blocked view in opposite direction) on my rear window?

No. Saf-C 3217.02(a).

Do tires with weather cracks more than one inch in length, as measured on the outside of the tire, pass state safety inspection?

No. See Saf-C 3211.01(a)(2).

Why Did New Hampshire implement emissions testing?

To protect the natural beauty of the state and to comply with the requirements of the Federal Clean Air Act as developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

When does the new emission testing law take effect?

Testing has been in effect since May 2005.

What vehicles are subject to On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) testing?

All 1996 and newer model year light-duty gasoline-fueled and 1997 and newer diesel-fueled passenger vehicles (8500 lbs GVWR and less) registered in New Hampshire are emission tested as part of the annual Safety Inspection as regulated by statute.

What happens if my vehicle fails the emissions test?

Repairs must be made to the vehicle to pass the emissions test within 60 days of the initial inspection. Emissions components are very complex. Be sure to seek a repair technician who is ASE L-1 Certified in OBD repair.

What do I do if I cannot afford to fix the emissions problems within 60 days?

Apply for an economic hardship waiver. In some cases, the economic hardship waiver allows a vehicle owner to have until the following years’ inspection to make OBD II repairs. The waiver can be obtained by calling (603) 271-0352.

Where can I get additional information about the emissions program, OBD II, and Gordon- Darby?

Visit the Emissions page on the Division of Motor Vehicle website.

When does my mechanic approval card expire?

The mechanic approval card expires in the event the mechanic has not conducted inspections for a period longer than one year. See Saf-C 3205.10(e).

Dealer Questions

Can a dealer attach a dealer plate to a used vehicle, and drive said used vehicle, that does not have a valid New Hampshire inspection sticker?

No. See Saf-C 2003.12(e) and RSA 266:1 IV.

I bought a car from a NH dealer and was told that the vehicle would pass inspection. When I took the vehicle in to be inspected, it failed. What can I do?

Write to: NH Division of Motor Vehicles, 23 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305, ATTENTION: Dealer Inspection Desk

Who can I contact about becoming a New Hampshire auto dealer?

Dealer Desk (603) 271-2330.

Salvage Questions

What is a salvage vehicle?

A vehicle that has been involved in a crash and deemed a total loss by an insurance company or a vehicle that was stolen and recovered. See RSA 261:22 VI.

When am I required to have a salvage inspection?

If your vehicle that was deemed a total is rebuilt, repaired, or recovered, and you wish to register and title the vehicle in NH. See Saf-C 1922.01(d).

What is a salvage inspection?

An examination of the vehicle by a NH Trooper, which includes the following:

  • Reviewing receipts or bills of sale for all parts used in repairs.
  • Determination that the vehicle has been adequately repaired.
  • Determination that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is correct.
  • Determination that the vehicle and any parts used for repairs are not currently stolen.

Where can I get my salvage vehicle inspected?

List of Salvage Inspection Locations

What must I bring to the salvage inspection?

  • The vehicle.
  • $50.00
  • Proof of ownership.
  • Insurance Adjuster’s Report.
  • Proof of repair of salvage items.
  • The original "Bill of Sale" or "Title Certificate" for vital parts such as: motor/engine, transmission, frame.

Can I make my own repairs?

Yes, if you bring receipts of the parts used to make the repairs.

Is a salvage vehicle inspection the same as a safety inspection?

No, during a salvage inspection, the officer will only determine if adequate repairs were made, not if the entire vehicle meets a safety inspection.

Will my vehicle be issued an inspection sticker?

No. If all salvage inspection requirements are met, a salvage decal with a control number will be attached to the driver’s side door in the area of the door latch of the vehicle (right side of frame neck on motorcycles).

What must I do following a salvage inspection?

Bring the Salvage Title and the Vehicle Identification Form issued by the NH Trooper to the city or town clerk where you reside.

What will be placed on the title?


What can I do if I purchased a vehicle and the seller did not disclose that the vehicle was previously deemed salvage?

Contact NH State Police Troop G. See RSA 261.22.